Below is background information for the Public Hearing on the proposed Planning & Zoning Code text and map amendments in order to establish the UVD, Urban Village District. The Public Hearing will take place on Thursday, November 21, 2019 at 7:00 p.m. in Council Chambers in the Springboro City Building, 320 West Central Avenue, Springboro. This Executive Summary provides an overview of the proposed amendments, the status of the proposed amendment, and contact information for questions you may have regarding the public meeting.
Urban Village District (UVD) – Executive Summary
The UVD is a proposed amendment to the Planning & Zoning Code for an approximate 60-acre area directly surrounding the Wright Station Development at the northwest corner of SR 73 & SR 741 (Please see map image above). This proposed zoning will replace the Town Center District Zoning that has been in place since 1999. This UVD is NOT a redevelopment project as was indicated by the media. The UVD is simply a zoning that WILL ENCOURAGE redevelopment in the future (similar to the redevelopment of the former IGA plaza), should private property owners desire to redevelop their properties.
The UVD Zoning will encourage four (4) basic strategies for future redevelopment:
1) Four-sided architecture of buildings;
2) Construct buildings closer to the roadway(s) to create a “streetscape” and old-style, urban village feel;
3) Protect the Historic Downtown.
4) Encourage walkability and ease of pedestrian access.
All potentially affected property owners in the proposed UVD were sent letters inviting them to a public meeting to be held on October 2 at 6:00pm at the City Building. During this meeting, City staff will present the UVD Zoning and answer any questions property owners or interested parties may have.
Questions and Answers regarding the UVD:
1) Why is the UVD being proposed now? The UVD more closely aligns with the City’s vision for the former IGA site, now called Wright Station and the approximate 60-acre area currently covered by the Town Center District Zoning. As interest in Wright Station has gained momentum (with projects like Warped Wing), the City would like to capitalize, and allow private property owners to capitalize, on the potential for redevelopment of properties in that general vicinity.
2) Is the City going to be taking my property as part of the UVD? NO!!! The City, pursuant to state law, cannot “take” your property for purposes such as this. Private property owners can still make private decisions about who / how / when they would like to sell their property. This new UVD Zoning just provides a guideline for how those properties should redevelop in the future – should private property owners decide to sell or redevelop their properties.
3) What if I don’t want to make any changes to my property - Can I keep my property as-is and operate my business as-is? YES!!! The new UVD Zoning provisions only apply when there is a MAJOR CHANGE to the building or site’s use in the case of permitted uses. “Major change” means demolishing the building and rebuilding or if you want to change at least 51% of the building exterior. The new UVD does not require you to change the building look or your business use. If you want to change the building color – you can. If you want to add shutters to your house – you can. If you want to rent your building to a different business that is permitted in the UVD – you can.
All affected property owners in the proposed UVD were sent letters inviting them to a public meeting on October 2 at 6:00pm at the City Building’s Community Room to answer any questions regarding the proposed UVD. The same property owners have been notified by letter of the November 21st Public Hearing.
If you cannot attend the November 21st Public Hearing, you may make your comments in writing by contacting Lori Martin, Clerk of Council. You will need to include your name and address with your comments:
Mail: Lori Martin, Clerk of Council, c/o City of Springboro, 320 West Central Avenue, Springboro, Ohio 45066
Fax: (937) 748-0815
Lori Martin may also be reached at (937) 748-4356
The latest and most updated detailed description of the UVD Zoning District, can be found by clicking HERE.